This week WordPress 4.9.6 was released, which comes with several privacy tools.
On May 17, the core team released WordPress 4.9.6. Among other things, the new release contains privacy tools to help to make a site GDPR conform. For that, it comes with:
- A comment cookie consent checkbox for the comment form.
- Features for exporting or erasing personal data.
More about the release can be found in the official announcement post »WordPress 4.9.6 Privacy and Maintenance Release« by Allen Snook.
JS build step and reorganization of folders
- A required build step. That means it is no longer possible to run WordPress from the
More on that can be found in his post.
Theme related changes in 4.9.6
WordPress 4.9.6 brought a few changes that affect themes. So if you are a theme author and have not done it yet, you should test your theme for the following features:
- There was a new checkbox added to the comment form to let the user check if he wants his data to be saved in the cookie for following comments. This can cause style issues or, if you are overwriting the
comment_form()call, lead to the case that the checkbox is not visible.
More info on that and how to modify the
comment_form() call for the new checkbox in the post »Changes that Affect Theme Authors in WordPress 4.9.6« by Jonathan Desrosiers.
- »WordPress 4.9.6 Release Candidate 2«.
- »REST API Meeting Summary: May 10«.
- »New PHP Polyfills in 4.9.6«. There were polyfill functions added for
is_iterable(). Those two functions were added to PHP in 7.3 respectively 7.1.
- »4.9.6 Update Guide«. The bigger dev-related changes in 4.9.6.
- »Dev Chat Summary: May 16th (4.9.6 week 7)«.
- Gutenberg 2.9.
- »Resources to help translate GDPR terms and new strings for WordPress 4.9.6«.
- »Please prepare your locales for the release of WordPress 4.9.6«.
- »Closing Unused Plugins«. There are many cases where a plugin was approved but the plugin author never committed code. The team decided to close those plugins if there was no code uploaded after six months after approval.
- »WP 4.9.6, Privacy, Hooks, and You«.
- »Report on the March Meetup Organizers Roundtable Experiment«.
- »WordCamp Incubator Program 2018: Update«.
- »Meetup Organiser Newsletter: 16 May 2018«.
- »Feedback requested: Additional changes to WordCamp tickets and registration«.
- »Diversity Speaker Outreach Training Group Onboarding / Summary«.
- »WordPress logos on cakes«.
- »Meetup Organizers Roundtables Part II: Conclusions And The Next steps«.
- »Recap of the Diversity Outreach Speaker Training meeting on May 16th, 2018«.