There is a new plugin header, which allows plugin devs to define the minimum PHP version which is required for the plugin to work.
PHP meeting from August 28
This weeks meeting goal was to finalize the section outline for the information page about PHP and why to upgrade it. It should be finalized for site owner context, and it was decided to go with the »probability approach« – »It should be highlighted that almost half of all WordPress sites are running in a way that has significant drawbacks. Readers should become curious on what they can do to run their site in the most efficient way possible.«
The »detected issue approach« should jump in based on GET params that will be set from the notice in the WP admin. More on that and the suggested page outline can be found in the post »PHP Meeting Recap – August 28th« by Felix Arntz.
Gutenberg and themes
Matias Ventura recorded two videos of working with the new Gutenberg editor to show what it makes possible at the moment. He hopes that »illustrates what it could do in the future after the post and page editing milestone« better.
You can watch them and find more information in his post »Gutenberg & Themes«.
- »What’s new in Gutenberg (August 29)«. Among other things, the team added »drag and drop for media with pointer to create new blocks«, and merged the paragraph and cover text blocks.
- »Dev Chat Summary: August 30th (4.9 week 5)«.
- »New Contributors Meeting Recap – August 30th«. Among other things, the »Writing PHPUnit Tests« page got some love.
Minimum PHP version requirement
There is a new
Requires PHP plugin header, which can be used to define the minimum PHP version which is required for the plugin to work. Currently, this information is displayed in the plugin directory below the »Tested up to« WordPress version. The next step is to include a mechanism into the core, that does not allow installation of plugins with a higher requirement than the server provides, and gives the user information about that.
More about that in the post »Minimum PHP version requirement« by Sergey Biryukov.
- »Global WordPress Translation Day 3 – Info for event organizers«.
- »A new way to highlight our decisions«.