The team of the REST API was slightly under the radar so far this year. Now they published a post with the current state and a roadmap.
REST API roadmap
The REST API team published a status update and roadmap. The API was merged in 4.7, and the team is working on making use of it in the admin area. It would be possible to replace the admin-ajax calls with API calls directly, but that would be refactoring without real user benefit, so the team wants to work on changes that improve the UX.
More about that in the post »REST API Roadmap« by Ryan McCue.
PHP meeting from August 21
The team discussed the PHP info page’s sections and content again with the focus on the first section, which they call »Why you want to read this«. They had three different approaches: a »technology« approach, a »detected issue« approach, and a »propability« approach.
You get more info about the meeting in the post »PHP Meeting Recap – August 21st« by Alain Schlesser.
- »Dev Chat Summary: August 23rd (4.9 week 4)«. Among other things, the team discussed future support for old WordPress versions.
- »Multisite Recap for the week of August 21st«.
- »Recent profile badge changes«.
- »Payment Intermission September 11-18«.
- »Sponsor agreements: New WordCamp Organizer Handbook’s page«.